How to make Ram-don (Jjapaguri) from movie “Parasite”
Ram-don (or Jjapaguri), from the Oscar-winning film "Parasite" is getting highly popular all over the world.
The term ram-don was created by the film's translator, a conjunction of ramen and udon that he thought American audiences would understand better than its true Korean name, jjapaguri.
Jjapaguri (짜파구리) is simply a combination of two different Korean instant noodles “Jjapaghetti (짜파게티)” and “Neoguri (너구리)”
In the movie, Bong Joon-ho uses a premium cut of steak to identify that even when this obscenely wealthy family tries to have a humble, casual meal, they still do it in the most extravagant way possible.
Individually they are quite different noodles.
Jjapagehtti is a cut down instant version of Korean black bean noodle and it is served dry (not served in a soup).
On the contrary, Neoguri is an udon noodle dish served in a spicy soup and its distinctive feature is including dried kelp (kombu) in the packet.
So, by mixing these two noodles, you make a new hybrid noodle called Jjapaguri (or Ram-don)
- Jjapaghetti (Korean instant black noodles)
- Neoguri (Korean instant spicy seafood udon noodles)
- 1L of water
- Beef steak, optional (add some beef steak if you want to mimic the scene from the Korean movie “Parasite”.)
HOW TO MAKE RAM-DON
- 1.If you use beef steak, combine the beef, salt, pepper, and the vegetable oil in a small pan and mix it well with a wooden spoon.
- 2.Cook over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until the beef turns light brown. Add the butter, stir and mix well and cook another minute. Remove from the heat.
- 3.Fill a pot with 1L of water, and boil the water on medium high heat.
- 4.Once the water is boiling, add the Jjapaghetti noodles, Neoguri noodles and dried vegetable flakes from both packets in the pot.
- 5.Boil it until the noodles are cooked, about 2-3 mins. During this time, mix the noodles well by lifting and dropping them a couple of times.
- 6.Drain the water but leave about 6 Tbsp worth of water. Then add the whole packet of Jjapaghetti powder soup sauce, 1/3 packet of Neoguri powder soup sauce and olive oil from the Jjapaghetti sauce. Mix them well. (If you want more spiciness, you could increase the amount of Neoguri powder soup sauce.)
- 7.Add the beef to the noodles.
- 8. Enjoy!